The Utility sector has seen significant change in recent years. The gas and electricity sectors have seen increased competition with growing changes to ownership. The gas and electricity market is split between the suppliers and distributors of the energy and those that deliver to consumers. The water companies have also seen some amalgamation and ownership changes. The biggest challenge facing the water sector is the age of the infrastructure and associated facilities, smart metering and the adoption of the private sewer network in the UK. All utility sectors will require continuous infrastructure improvements whilst undergoing further scrutiny from the relevant regulator.
All utilities are keen to increase shareholder value whether by cutting costs or where possible by increasing market share. IT has become key to ensuring business efficiency and success whether this is automated knowledge of breakdown, efficient use of maintenance staff or an efficient and accurate billing system.
The regulators monitor the utilities and expect to see cost reductions and service improvments which include IT delivery. There is increasing focus of the regulators from Operating Expenditure (Opex) alone to a Total Expenditure (Totex), which includes Capital and Revenue expenditure. This will require a modified approach and analysis for future IT investments.
Whilst pressure increases to reduce costs and consumer prices, the shareholders continue to expect growth and a return on their investments.
ImprovIT provides a comprehensive set of independent business driven IT services that will help select suitable IT delivery options, identify the current capabilities and efficiencies of existing IT and help optimise service delivery within whatever cost constraints exist. ImprovIT provides varied service options to help Utility executives to get the best out of their IT investments.
ImprovIT's variety of services:
• Provide understanding of IT's current capability and future delivery options
• Provide IT Benchmarking of current IT Services
• Maximise the value of the existing IT infrastructure & applications
• Help support business cases when deciding on technologies and partners
• Model alternative scenarios of staffing, sourcing, SLAs
• Optimise the application and service development environment
• Demonstrate the value for money of existing services and contracts
• Improved agility and flexibility by use of key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and industry comparisons