IT is a crucial part of modern healthcare provision, not only supporting administration systems but as a prevalent, if not essential key enabler to all clinical departments – many requiring very robust and high availability IT services. IT can aid the organisation by simplifying and speeding up tasks or allowing additional more complex activities to be readily undertaken.
Advances in clinical systems rely heavily on advanced communications and networks. With the explosion of digital imagery (PACS systems – X-ray, CT, MRI etc) the demand for improved systems and storage has never been greater. Another key requirement which has considerable impact on working practices is the growing demand for integrated services between primary and secondary care e.g. Electronic Patient Records (EPR) from the General Practitioner’s (GP) surgery to the hospital ward. There is also growing appetite from healthcare professionals for mobile devices and connectivity.
“ImprovIT offer great value for money and expertise and were a fantastic team to work with.”
Healthcare, Director of Health Informatics
Optimising IT in the NHS
Faced with increased demand for cuts and wider requirements to deliver patient centered services, greater expectations are being placed on IT within the NHS. The NHS needs to balance cost reductions against maintaining existing front-line services and the ever increasing demand for further services. Delaying or denying projects and investments is no longer a viable option, and NHS organisations are seeking alternative methods and solutions.
ImprovIT’s Metric Driven Analysis approach enables NHS bodies to gain insight by independently and accurately comparing their IT (services and costs) to similar organisations. ImprovIT can also conduct “What If?” analysis by modelling the impact change has on the delivery or cost of a service modification (e.g. moving to Shared Services) or efficiency of implemented projects.
ImprovIT can not only help NHS organisations optimise IT spend to deliver long term savings whilst ensuring service quality is maintained or improved.
Using our detailed model and data, ImprovIT can:
- Help NHS IT departments demonstrate they are delivering “Value for Money”
- Measure whether infrastructure and/or applications projects are both efficient and effective
- Identify where further efficiencies can be achieved.
- Confirm if outsource contracts are delivering “Value for Money”
- Demonstrate the current market price for a variety of IT services
“We found the results most useful in helping to achieve contract savings that are expected to be greater than £2M over the next 4 years. A knowledgeable and well balanced team.”
NHS, IT Director
The support from ImprovIT can be delivered in the form of IT Strategy support; IT Project reviews; Technology selection help or IT governance and sourcing decisions. ImprovIT will help optimise IT strategy decisions and determine which of the items below would be most beneficial:
- Shared Services
- Insourced, Outsourced or Multi-Sourced Services (incl. Due Diligence and transition support)
- Service and Cost Optimisation approaches
- Review of managed services contracts for PACS/EPR systems, ensuring Value For Money is delivered
- Cloud based services
- Bring your own device (BYOD) strategies
- Technology or Solution decisions (e.g. EPR, PACS, Mobile)
- Provide understanding of IT’s current capability and future delivery options
- Process deployment and improvement roadmaps (e.g. ITIL, CMMi)
- Deployment of robust IT Governance models (e.g. COBIT)
ImprovIT’s approach and methodology helps to ensure comparison against best price and practice in organisations of similar scale and complexity both within the NHS and other sectors, to ensure our clients don’t miss out on innovative solutions outside their immediate surroundings.